Musings, Ramblings, Questions ~ Answers & Random Thoughts

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Don't Be So Rude

All I wanted was some MAC molasses colored nail polish.
It is a lovely color, it looks fantastic on my hands ~ and I did not have to torture the poor sales associate by testing all of the other 70 colors to choose from.
I wanted the Molasses. Please.
I kindly asked the sales associate for the nail polish of my choice.
I smiled, I was friendly, I spoke clearly ~ and was met with a bad attitude.

What's the deal with bad attitude MAC employees? This is my second run in with mean counter people. The only time I get good service from my nail polish purveyors is when I order it online.
What happened to good customer service? What happened to happy human contact? How is it that when I am nice, someone could be so rude?
But will I call customer service to complain? no.

Later that same day, I found myself at the airport. Flying on a shuttle flight between New York and DC. Flights literally leave every hour of the day.
Unfortunately - there were some delays.
Once again, I was priveliged to witness more people being rude.
Perhaps, gentle airline passenger, you could not spend your time complaining to everyone you know on your cell phone about the delay. Perhaps instead of going thru every contact in your cell phone, you could stop and listen to the announcements.
Perhaps you would learn when the flight is leaving - and that it is now leaving from another gate.
Then perhaps, you would spare us all of your yelling and screaming at the poor gate attendent who has announced the new departure at the new gate for the last 30 minutes.
Is it the gate attendents fault that you were so self absorbed in your own misery?

And the trickle down? When I happily approach the gate attendent to board my own flight ~ when my zone is called - she has a bad attitude too. She couldn't muster a smile, didn't thank me, made no eye contact, nothing.
Big surprise.
Did I take it personally? no.

So let's learn to love (or at least like) one another again.
No need to be so rude.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:07 PM, Blogger The Future Was Yesterday said…

    I've noticed the same thing, all tho I have no problem with my nails.:)

    I think one reason is the slave wages paid, the "takeaways", on and on, that employees are forced to put up with, or be jobless.

    My wife and I fly to LA a couple times a year. We see the same thing you mentioned. The friggin' plane just touched down .00001 seconds ago, and it's cell phone hell!!

    I'd like to stick every cell phone on an airplane or in a staging area, up somebody's....gate!:)

     
  • At 2:04 PM, Blogger Netter said…

    Future - isn't it amazing that in the information age, we do our best to stay in constant communication, yet at the end of the day we don't know how to communicate the most important things.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home